Friday, March 22, 2013

Who Said Casteism is Dead?


I really don’t know how and where to start this post. Much has been spoken about this topic by many writers, but the casteist mindset of people is still prevalent even today.

The Internet, in general, and Twitter and Facebook, in particular, have shown me how even educated people still stick to their casteist identities strongly. Caste-based handles and bios on Twitter, Facebook display names displaying one’s caste so blatantly—it’s all there in the social media world.

While the people of the city themselves have such strong casteist tendencies, it’s not surprising to see the same among people in small towns. I got to witness this personally last month when I had gone to Mantralayam for a cousin’s wedding.

I was at the ‘sathram’ having my lunch. The caterer was sitting beside me and having some discussion with another person. The conversation was in Telugu. The translation is below.

Caterer: The uggaani-bajji and other items we make cost Rs. 75 per plate.

The other person: Whoa! Really? Why is it so costly, man? We get the same thing for a much cheaper price at roadside shops.

Caterer: That’s made by maadigas. So there’d be a difference.

T.O.P: Ah, yes. You are right.

I felt really bad on hearing that conversation. I’d have taken it as a valid response if the caterer had said that the hygiene levels are low in such roadside shops. But he didn’t. It was the vendors’ caste that seemed to bother him more.

I’ve heard a lot of my relatives use the words maadigoda or maadiga munda so frequently while cussing at someone. During my childhood, I used to think it was just a generic cussword like poRukki or poRamboakku. It was not until a couple of years ago that I realized it referred to the name of a caste. That too was when I had been to the Chennai High Court regarding an accident case in which a few friends from school and I were the victims. A vehicle with the name “AAI Associates” and “Proprietor: Madiga” on it was what opened my eyes. And the vehicle was that of manual scavengers who clean up the city’s sewer system—people who regularly get themselves dirty in order to clean up our impurities. I first giggled at the appropriateness of the name “AAI Associates” for a scavenging service, but realization dawned upon me when I got to know that all these years, I’ve been hearing people use the name of a particular caste to refer to someone as inferior.

And that changed the impression I had on many people I knew.

There’s another incident that I must talk about here. This happened in 2007, the year I stepped into college. One day, we had some other lecturer substituting for one of our regular ones. I’d heard that this lecturer knew the subject well, but he wasn’t going to teach us any of it. He suddenly started lecturing on the varna differences mentioned in the Manu Smriti and justifying that Brahmins are superior and people of the other three varnas, especially Shudhras, were inferior. His substantiation was a sloka from “Purusha Sooktam”.  He went ahead with the Brahmins came from the Purusha’s head and Shudhras came from His legs crap. I hadn’t known much about the intensity of casteism in our country back then, but one of my best friends from college, Suresh, put up an argument with him. The lecturer had no rational explanation for the claim he made, but kept parroting that “The holy scripture says so. Therefore, it’s true.”

That’s another occasion when I got to know of the cheapness of the so-called high caste people.

And keep in mind, this is not the 18th or 19th century. This is the effing 21st century when people are envisioning a world without boundaries and trying to make “One world. One humanity.” a reality. It is, therefore, really saddening to see such people live amidst us even today.

It’s really funny when a Brahmin says “It’s very painful to be treated as a second-class citizen in one’s own country.” Those are exactly the moments when irony commits suicide and vows not to return ever.

Yes, it’s not just Brahmins who consider themselves superior. Yes, the aforementioned caterer was not a Brahmin himself, but he belonged to another so-called high caste. Therefore, everyone shares the blame equally. But Brahmins should never talk about being considered a second-class citizen.

They are the ones who created the spark. So they should never ever cry that it has turned into a wildfire and started burning them in return. In one word, karma.

Another argument that today’s Brahmins put forward is “This is something our forefathers did. How is it fair to make us suffer the consequences?”

Well, let’s take the example of the Bhopal gas tragedy. Over 5,00,000 people were affected by a major gas leak that happened in 1984 in a Union Carbide factory. Though the exact death toll is unclear, most sources say it must be somewhere between 15 and 16,000 in the initial few days. But the tragedy did affect more than 5 lakh people, as mentioned earlier.

It’s been close to three decades since this tragedy happened, but people still claim compensation from the main culprit, Union Carbide. If you remember well, we Indians outraged greatly when Union Carbide said it’d sponsor the London Olympics in 2012. Now why do we still demand compensation from UC even after nearly 30 years? Because the impact has been very huge.

This is not very different from the impact of casteism. Why do people so strongly support reservation? Because the negative impact of your “forefathers’” casteism is great and long-running. People are still affected by it. Reservation is the compensation for those people who were suppressed in the name of casteism. If the victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy deserve compensation even after 30 years, don’t those who have been subjected to suppression for centuries together deserve it too?

Please be conscientious when you answer that question. Be objective.

I find it very painful when Brahmins say that they’re treated as second-class citizens in their own country. Just because they’re not being true to their conscience. 

Peace.

PS: You HAVE TO read the great Indian writer Mulk Raj Anand's "Untouchable" to really be able to gauge the kind of cruelty Brahmins and other high caste people perpetrated against the others. Do read. You won't regret it.

6 comments:

  1. This is very, very well-written. I feel your pain.

    The only thing I don't understand is why the government won't make everyone get equal opportunities while giving benefits to people so long suppressed. Don't get me wrong here - let me explain.

    Shouldn't our focus be on making things equally better in the long run? If I eliminate a common entrance test because I feel students from the rural regions can't face it, shouldn't my focus also be on making the education and facilities there SO GOOD that they can face any entrance exam? I'm saying that if you bring it all down to a matter of money and merit, everything will get equalized.

    It still pains me to see some people being treated unequally, though. I agree with you completely there. Changing the mindset of the people can't be done overnight - the best way to achieve this (and it will take YEARS) is to bring the so-called lower caste to power in such a way that they prove themselves fit for any high position and no less than any of the so-called high caste people.

    Merit and money. They'll solve everything.

    Trust me, even if this doesn't make sense now or looks like a joke, someday, like maybe 50 years down the line, this will begin to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    There are a few places where I strongly disagree. So, I'll begin.

    //Caste-based handles and bios on Twitter, Facebook display names displaying one’s caste so blatantly—it’s all there in the social media world.// I'm not sure if you are implying here that casteism is around because people use their castes in their handles. It's more complicated than that. One who wears a caste identity openly does not have to be casteist, no? If I were wearing a Burkha, am I religionist/ racist? Is the problem of casteism eliminating castes or eliminating discrimination based on it? Because just like being a woman or being Indian or (unpopularly) being feminist is my identity, belonging to a certain caste also is. Yes, you can argue that I can choose not to exhibit my caste identity. But why not? Say, my being a woman is having me discriminated against, how can I stop wearing that identity? Or why should I? So, the ideal situation here is being able to wear my identity up my sleeve and not be ill-treated for it.

    Much has been spoken about manual scavenging, even as recently as by Modi, so, I'm leaving that and moving on.

    //Abusive language// Think about it deeper, you'll notice all abusive language is sexist, racist, regionalist or elitist. For example, poRukki perhaps refer to a ragpicker. That is elitist in itself, isn't it? We can go into dignity of labour etc. about and talk all day too.

    //That’s another occasion when I got to know of the cheapness of the so-called high caste people.// Gross generalization. Sorry.

    //This is the effing 21st century when people are envisioning a world without boundaries and trying to make “One world. One humanity.” a reality. // Haha. Are we discussing John Lennon here? If we were all envisioning One World. One Humanity, why is the US fighting wars? Why is the UK refusing visas? Why are some rogue Indian men raping foreign travelers? Why are some Govts killing their own people?

    //It’s really funny when a Brahmin says “It’s very painful to be treated as a second-class citizen in one’s own country.”// Ouch. That's another gross generalization. I've heard stories about Brahmin poonals being cut from their shoulders during the revolution of the DK times. Nothing justifies that. That's the same a tearing a Burkha off a woman's body, no? If my father/ grand-father had to go through that, shouldn't they talk about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Finally I get the time to reply to your comment. So here goes my explanation. :)

      //I'm not sure if you are implying here that casteism is around because people use their castes in their handles....So, the ideal situation here is being able to wear my identity up my sleeve and not be ill-treated for it.// I'd actually go easy on this. As far as I've seen, none of the people I follow - who have caste-based handles - tweet or say stuff that is casteist. But there are for sure others (people I don't follow) who take pride in their caste and don't hesitate to exhibit it. I personally feel there's no need for one to include the caste in his/her name. This'd still indirectly mean that the person considers himself/herself different from, and in some cases, superior to others. Why do schools have uniforms for students? The purpose is to promote equality, right? I think we should follow a similar approach with regard to this.

      //Abusive language// I agree with you on this. Maybe I made a mistake by using 'poRukki' as an example here. But your point still supports mine. Both 'poRukki' as well as 'maadiga' should be avoided. Yes.

      \\Gross generalization. Sorry.\\
      Well, yes. That does fall under generalization. I agree. But that's not what I meant. I should have written "cheapness of some of the so-called high caste people" in stead.

      //Haha. Are we discussing John Lennon here?...Why are some Govts killing their own people?// I'm an idealist/optimist. Yes, there's cruelty all over the world, but I'm sure everyone will get what's rightfully theirs. Maybe my optimism explains my believing in a "One world. One humanity." vision. I agree life might turn me into a cynic. But I just hope I don't become one.

      The last point you have covered is closely connected to the first point in your next comment, I guess. So I'll explain there.

      Delete
    2. Interesting point and counter point. I agree and disagree with the points (in places)raised by Mr Clairvoyant. Very well written though.

      Delete
  3. //But Brahmins should never talk about being considered a second-class citizen.// Why not? Because a Brahmin was once a first class citizen and life has come a full circle? Where do you think this will lead? In the Brahmin upheaval in another 100 years with them fighting for justice after having gone through this 100 years of subservience. No one should be treated as a second class citizen. Just no one. For no reason. (And by second class citizen, I mean things like in Malaysia for example, higher taxes, lower Govt. support etc. - not reservation. That is a different ball game and I'll get to that).

    Also, you are looking at this very simplistically. Your argument about privilege does not hold good for all Brahmins. Is a male Brahmin as privileged as a female Brahmin? A rich one as privileged as a poor one? An educated one v. an uneducated one? A gay one v. a straight one? A transgender Brahmin - is there even one such? While talking of verticals, we cannot leave out the horizontals. All Brahmins are not one thing. That's feeding into stereotypes.

    //Reservation is the compensation for those people who were suppressed in the name of casteism.// No. Reservation is the opportunity for the under-privileged that they otherwise do not get. Reservation is not given to Dalits because the Brahmins deserve to be punished. It's given because they are not on a equal footing to compete with the Brahmins to exercise their right if the system was meritocratic. In an ideal future, all the under-privileged (based on gender/ caste/ religion/ whatever) should gain an equal footing to compete fairly and eliminate the need or any reservation. Because if reservation is about avenging the high-caste, you'll have a reservation for the high-caste (who would become the marginalized) in another 100 years.

    //They are the ones who created the spark. So they should never ever cry that it has turned into a wildfire and started burning them in return. In one word, karma.// Silly, to say the least. It seems like it lacks perspective of sociology. If I told you that, all men have to be treated badly because they treated women badly, will you think that's right? Or if I said all straight people must be odhukku-vechufied from the ooru because they once did that to gays, is that right? Karma is like Manu Smriti only. If you think karma is logic to explain something, I have little to retort.

    //If the victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy deserve compensation even after 30 years, don’t those who have been subjected to suppression for centuries together deserve it too?// How is this different from asking the UK to apologize of Jalian wall bagh? I think the analogy itself is deeply flawed. And you are also making sound like the high-caste have to *pay* for their wrong doing. If brahmins did manual scavenging, is that going to make things right?

    I see how you are aiming at casteism being institutionalized as the theory in this piece. But there is a lot that needs to be thought through. The need of anyone oppressed is not revenge but equality of opportunity. You might want to think this over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. //Why not? Because a Brahmin was once a first class citizen and life has come a full circle?...(And by second class citizen, I mean things like in Malaysia for example, higher taxes, lower Govt. support etc. - not reservation. That is a different ball game and I'll get to that).// The biggest mistake I made with regard to that point is I didn't set the context. Frankly, I didn't have any of the things you've mentioned on my mind when I wrote that line. The phrase "second-class citizen" itself I got to know through a rather infamous twitlonger post that was circulated greatly during the Vishwaroopam ban. You remember? One person said that "reservation made her feel like a second-class citizen in her own country, and had to battle with a one-legged Korean for a seat in a university abroad". That's the line I was referring to in my post. Not mentioning this twitlonger incident in my post was indeed my fault.

      //No. Reservation is the opportunity for the under-privileged that they otherwise do not get....Because if reservation is about avenging the high-caste, you'll have a reservation for the high-caste (who would become the marginalized) in another 100 years.// I'd disagree here. Well, why do dalits require something new to gain equal footing in the first place? In an ideal society, everyone would have received equal opportunities and no one would have had to "protest" to get what belonged to them. If they need equal footing, it means they were not at the same level as others. Why? Because that's the kind of effect casteism has had on the society. In that sense, reservation is indeed a form of compensation. You say, "Reservation is the opportunity for the under-privileged that they otherwise do not get." I say, "Reservation is the opportunity for the under-privileged that they otherwise did not get." That's the only difference.

      //Silly, to say the least. It seems like it lacks perspective of sociology...If you think karma is logic to explain something, I have little to retort.// I never said high caste people have to be victimized the way dalits were suppressed in the past. Remember, I made that point only with reservation on my mind. Most "high caste" people have a problem with reservation. I'm just saying reservation came into existence because, like you yourself mentioned, the suppressed required opportunities. Apart from that, I never encourage(d) any kind of "giving back". In fact, I strongly believe in "Inna seidhaarai oRutthal avar naaNa nannayam seidhu vidal."

      //How is this different from asking the UK to apologize of Jalian wall bagh?...If brahmins did manual scavenging, is that going to make things right?// I'm still sticking to my stance on reservation when I made the analogy. The analogy is purely with regard to reservation. Nothing else. So, I never implied that things will be right if Brahmins did manual scavenging. That's really not what I meant.

      I hope this clears all the confusion. :)

      Delete